The following information relates to using let's encrypt with the hsphere control panel. Other control panel's we have will have different methods.
To use Let's encrypt:
- Create a blank file called ".useLetsEncrypt" (note the period at the start) in the main directory for the website
- This file can created via the file manager or simply upload via FTP
- Wait 10 to 15 minutes for the configuration changes to take place.
- Test the SSL by going to https://example.com where example.com is your domain
- If any errors are given or otherwise does not appear to work, please contact support.
Let's encrypt will work even if you do not have a dedicated IP assigned to the website. This is done via SNI, Server Name Indication, a method of telling the encryption end point what domain we're connecting with. In the past a dedicated IP was needed as encryption methods did not know what domain was being accessed. NOTE: regular SSLs require a dedicated IP at this time due to hsphere's design limitations.